Academy of the City Charter School is based on inquiry, active and experiential learning, social justice, continual professional development, and reflective practice. The school will aim to educate students to become independent thinkers and lifelong learners.
The key elements of Academy of the City are:
- intensive focus on literacy;
- community building school culture program;
- reflective practice for the student;
- data-driven decision making;
- team teaching and sheltered instruction;
- reflective practice for the teacher; and
- longer school day and year.
Academy of the City’s educational program will provide a broad liberal arts foundation that includes instruction in the core subjects of reading, writing (English language arts), mathematics, science, and social studies, along with exposure to the arts, music and physical education. In addition, students will receive instruction in Spanish beginning in third grade. The school will institute a sheltered instruction approach and workshop teaching model with collaborative teaching. This model is intended to, in part, provide students with differentiated instruction. The school day will run from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and the school year will be comprised of 190 days.