To achieve its mission of preparing boys to graduate from college and succeed in life, Boys Prep will replicate the programs in place at the Girls Preparatory Charter School of New York and the Girls Preparatory Charter School of the Bronx. Boys Prep will provide a rigorous back-to-basics education, preparing students to achieve academic excellence.
Boys Prep will employ the curriculum currently in place at its sister schools, but will provide instruction through methods and strategies that address the unique ways that boys learn, including more hands-on activities and incorporating more kinesthetic elements. In addition, Boys Prep intends to engage male members of the school’s community to provide academic and character development support to the boys and serve as role models. The key elements of Boys Prep are:
- A research-based curriculum with a strong focus on literacy;
- High expectations for academic excellence;
- Extensive professional development of teachers and clear career paths for teachers and leaders;
- School uniforms for students and a dress code for teachers;
- Clearly articulated and consistently upheld behavior standards;
- A focus on ethics and personal responsibility; and
- Differentiating instruction in order to teach to individual learning styles.