The mission of Success Academy Charter School - Bed Stuy 1 is to provide children in New York City with an exceptionally high quality education that gives them the knowledge, skills, character, and disposition to meet and exceed New York State standards and the resources to lead and succeed in school, college, and a competitive global economy.
Success Academy Charter School - Bed Stuy 1 is a replication of the first Harlem Success Academy Charter School, which opened in 2006. The original Harlem Success Academy Charter School was the top performing charter school in New York State on the most recent State exams. Consistent with its sister schools, Success Academy will implement a curriculum that includes the Success for All (SFA) Program for students in kindergarten and first grade. This program provides schools with research-based curriculum materials, extensive professional development in proven instructional strategies, assessment data-monitoring tools, and one-on-one tutoring for struggling students and also includes 100 minutes of uninterrupted, daily reading instruction.
The key design elements of the academic program are:
- focus on student achievement;
- research based and results driven curriculum;
- 100 minutes of daily reading instruction, 30 minutes of daily writing instruction, 80 minutes of daily mathematics, and daily exploratory-based science instruction totaling 4 and a half hours each week for each student;
- the effective use of student performance data to improve student learning;
- a longer school day and year;
- intensive intervention programs for struggling students and enrichment programs for high-performing students;
- school leaders with the power to lead;
- highly qualified, highly trained staff;
- strong school culture; and
- strong support for students with disabilities and English language learners.