Green Dot New York Charter School's mission is to prepare students for success in college, leadership and life by creating a small, college-preparatory high school with a student-centered environment that unifies the efforts of family, community and school to foster life-long learning, cross-cultural competency, social responsibility and academic excellence, based on a belief that all students can go to college and that their preparation is the school’s professional responsibility and moral obligation.
The school's set of core principles are:
- a small, safe, personalized school;
- high expectations and extra-supports, such that every student takes college preparatory courses and the school provides extensive student intervention and support programs;
- local control with extensive professional development and accountability, in which the principal and teachers are the key decision makers owning all critical decisions at the school site related to budgeting, hiring and curriculum;
- parent participation, wherein families are invited and expected to participate in their children’s education experience;
- getting dollars into the classroom through efficient operation;
- keeping schools open later, until at least 5:00 pm daily, providing students with after-school programs and allowing community groups to use the facilities.