The mission of the New Visions Charter High School for Advanced Math and Science (New Visions - Math and Science) is “to prepare vulnerable young people to graduate with a Regents diploma through a rigorous curriculum that is grounded in the principles of positive youth development.”
New Visions - Math and Science will partner with New Visions for Public Schools, Inc., a non-profit organization that works with schools while creating stragegies to improve achievement. New Visions for Public Schools was selected by the NYCDOE as a Partner Support Organization in 2007 and now partners with over 76 New York City schools.
The key design elements of the New Visions – Math and Science academic program are:
- use of effective research-based curricula and assessments to diagnose students’ needs and tailor instruction accordingly;
- Board of Regent’s sequence of courses in all applicable subject areas;
- core focus skills mapped to Common Core Standards;
- established link between in-school experience, college and job-related skills development;
- student access to courses at local colleges and universities;
- student internship opportunities;
- structured collaboration with peer schools in the New Visions network;
- development of a community asset map to guide service learning opportunities for students; and
- extended school day and year including a three-week mandatory summer program.
Students and faculty at New Visions - Math and Science will have opportinities to collaborate with the New Visions Charter High School for the Humanities, also opening in 2011-2012.