Reinventing Options for Adolescents Deserving Success (ROADS)’ mission is to ensure that over-age, under-credited students aged 15-17 in New York City – graduate from high school thoroughly prepared to excel academically, professionally, and personally. To achieve our mission, we create transformative high schools characterized by customized and rigorous curricula, socio-emotional support, and work-based experiences that foster student engagement and accelerate student progress.
The ROADS model draws on a broad array of nationally-recognized, evidence-based practices and the deep experience of NYC Department of Education’s District 79 and Office of Multiple Pathways.
- Cohorts, not grades: Instead of traditional grade levels, ROADS students progress through three cohorts. Advancement is based on skill acquisition, rather than age or “seat time.”
- Extensive intervention: The ROADS academic program supports students’ mastery of content with extensive blocks of English Language Arts and math with tutoring support.
- Personalized learning: ROADS takes the time to get to know each individual student and develops a personalized learning experience to meet their needs.
- Student ownership of academic progress: At ROADS, every student crafts an Individual Life Plan (ILP) which lays out his or her path to academic success.
- Job readiness: Mentors, internships, and job shadowing give students real world work experience.
- Socio-emotional supports: A supportive environment is vital for all students. ROADS has access to experienced social workers and student support professionals. At ROADS, students feel valued, encouraged, and empowered.
- Extended time: ROADS’ has an extended school day and year which allows students to make rapid progress.
ROADS Charter High School 1 and its sister school, ROADS Charter High School 2 will open in Fall 2012.