The mission of True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School - West Campus (Rochester Prep - West) is to prepare all students to enter and succeed in college through effort, achievement and the content of their character. All Rocheter Prep - West students will demonstrate excellence in Reading, Writing, Math, Science, and History, while consistently exemplifying the virtues of diligence, integrity, compassion, responsibility, respect and perseverance. To achieve its mission, the design of the Rocheter Prep - West educational program is based on other successful urban charter schools, including the True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School and the True North Troy Preparatory Charter School.
Rochester Prep - West Campus will target students at risk of academic failure. Key design elements include:
- A longer school day (7:45 a.m. - 4:40 p.m., except Fridays when students are dismissed early to allow time for staff professional development).
- A longer school year (195 days plus 10 additional days for students who require enrichment or remediation).
- Extra attention in English language arts, with elementary students receiving over 15 hours of instruction and middle academy students receiving 14 hours of instruction per week.
- Extra attention in mathematics, with elementary students receiving 80 minutes and middle students receiving 135 minutes of instruction per day (except Fridays when they will receive 75 minutes).
- Character education infused into all elements of the school’s program.