Reporting Requirements: Board Trustees – Removal or Resignation
The board must notify the SUNY Charter Schools Institute (the “Institute”), in writing, within 5 days of any resignation, removal, expiration of a term without re-election, or otherwise on its board of trustees per § 2.2(f) of its Charter Agreement.
- Trustee resigned for personal reasons
- Trustee resigned when term expired
- Trustee passed away
Resignation Reporting Requirements
The board chair (or board representative) should send an email or letter to the Institute and include the following information:
- Name of Departing Trustee;
- Date of departure; and
- Reason for departure.
- Trustee vacated his or her office by actively refusing to act (Ed Law § 226(4))
- Trustee vacated his or her office by failing to attend three consecutive meetings without an excuse acceptable to the trustees (Education Law § 226(4)).
Removal Reporting Requirements:
- Must be approved by a majority of trustee then in office as opposed to a majority of trustee present with a quorum (Education Law § 226(8));
- Must be on written complaint of any trustee;
- Must be for cause (misconduct, incapacity, neglect of duty, violation of charter provision regarding qualifications, code of ethics, etc.); and
- Must give one week’s notice to existing trustee and all trustees.
Please include a copy of approved resolution or a copy of the minutes with the removal and votes recorded to the Institute: charter.compliance (at) suny.edu.
Charter Schools Institute via charter.compliance (at) suny.edu