The driving concept behind the creation of public charter schools is to give parents choice. The questions below can be used to assist parents in selecting a school for their child. Responses to these questions, along with a school visit, can be helpful in the selection process.
- What are the school’s goals?
- Is the school meeting its goals?
- What does the school expect from every student?
- How long has the school been operating?
- Do you think the school’s charter will be renewed? Why?
- How do parents know if the school is doing well?
- How will the charter school help my child to succeed?
- What role do parents play at the school?
- How long is the school day? The school year?
- How many students are in each class?
- National Charter School Resource Center
- National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
- New York City Charter Schools Center
- New York State Department of Education: Charter Schools Office
- New York City Department of Education: Charter School Accountability & Support